Turkey Fryer

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Marotte Brewery

Re: Turkey Fryer

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Wow. Very close. I'm on La Palma, just West of Gypsum. I live in the Yorba Linda Villages Condos at La Palma and Via Lomas de Yorba E.

Let me know, and I will stop by...
jward

Post by jward »

Rezzin wrote:Everyone is respectful of others, no one cares if you brew under 1.050 or over (although they'll make jokes :))
Oh sure, it's all good unless you brew those normal gravity and appropriately hopped ales especially those from the other side of the pond. :twisted:
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Marotte Brewery wrote:Wow. Very close. I'm on La Palma, just West of Gypsum. I live in the Yorba Linda Villages Condos at La Palma and Via Lomas de Yorba E.

Let me know, and I will stop by...
Wow... I'm not sure the name of his complex, but it's the one just across La Palma from the riverbed, contained within the bounds of Old Village Dr. He's on Waterbury (if you know that complex).

Sounds like it's walking (or stumbling) distance. In fact, if you know a guy named Dustin who frequents Esther's Mexican Restaurant, you may already be acquaintances :lol:
Brad
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Wait rezzin, I brewed a 1.050 a week ago but I want to be in the cool camp. Please place me accordingly.
jward

Post by jward »

JonGoku wrote:Thank you and all the other club members for your patience in what I assume is yet another noob asking the same noob questions.
Noob questions are great. We get to kick around all of our old arguments: bucket vs. carboy, fly vs batch, pump vs gravity, single or more fermentation vessels, shaken or stirred, etc.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

JonGoku wrote:
brew captain wrote:Patience is a virtue in this hobby. Many a brewer has got to the end of drinking a batch and said, "damn that last one tasted like a world class beer!!!" and there was no one but the garage walls to hear them...

Since you are the beneficiary of the longest running welcome post in the club's history, I will let you borrow a burner and a 14 gallon kettle the next time you brew.

Propane is on you!

Cheers!
Hahaha, I noticed that too. Thank you and all the other club members for your patience in what I assume is yet another noob asking the same noob questions. I have tried to do as much research on my own before posting questions, but nothing beats a direct answer to your specific problem. Thank you all so much.

I will very likely take you up on that offer, allthough that will bring up issues like, what to do with 13 or however many gallons of beer you brew in a 14 gallon kettle.

:happybeer:
Damn, I realized I have no clue how I would cool or even move around 13 gallons of wort. Image I guess I would need to start looking in earnest for an IC chiller and grab some carboys or something. I'll try and brew a few more 5 gallon batches first I guess so I can get some more practice with the basics first.
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

JonGoku wrote: Damn, I realized I have no clue how I would cool or even move around 13 gallons of wort. Image I guess I would need to start looking in earnest for an IC chiller and grab some carboys or something. I'll try and brew a few more 5 gallon batches first I guess so I can get some more practice with the basics first.
You can always boil 5-6 gallons of wort in a 13 gallon kettle, but you can't stuff 10 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon kettle :wink:

A 13 gallon kettle is even on the thresehold of too small for 10 gallons, but makes a fantastic 5 gallon batch size kettle.
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

bwarbiany wrote:
Wow... I'm not sure the name of his complex, but it's the one just across La Palma from the riverbed, contained within the bounds of Old Village Dr. He's on Waterbury (if you know that complex).

Sounds like it's walking (or stumbling) distance. In fact, if you know a guy named Dustin who frequents Esther's Mexican Restaurant, you may already be acquaintances :lol:

Yep... same complex. I'm on Cambridge. I don't know him, but hope to soon!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Backyard Brewer wrote:You can always boil 5-6 gallons of wort in a 13 gallon kettle, but you can't stuff 10 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon kettle :wink:

A 13 gallon kettle is even on the thresehold of too small for 10 gallons, but makes a fantastic 5 gallon batch size kettle.
Sorry, I should have kept the original msg from the Captain in the quote, he was offering to loan me a 14 gallon kettle & burner, so not having a clue how much wort you would make in a 14 gallon I assumed a maximum of 13 gallons. In hind site I should have done a quick Google and I would have seen that B3 uses this size to do 10gallon batches (Click here for LINK) in their sculptures.

I think I would still need a wort chiller as I would no longer be able to dunk the kettle directly into an ice chest like I did for my current brew. I actually went from boiling to 70F in a little over 15min with that method (cold water and 3 bags of ice in an ice chest, and stirring every 30-40 sec).
Jon Image
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

So long as I am not brewing the same day you are, you can borrow my IC as well. Or, you could attend my next brew session and for just the cost of ingredients you could go away with a full carboy of freshly pitched wort for your trouble.

I am planning on doing an Americanized Dunkelweisen very, very soon (if not this weekend then the next for sure). I live just around the corner from Imperial and Kraemer...

Cheers!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brew captain wrote:So long as I am not brewing the same day you are, you can borrow my IC as well. Or, you could attend my next brew session and for just the cost of ingredients you could go away with a full carboy of freshly pitched wort for your trouble.

I am planning on doing an Americanized Dunkelweisen very, very soon (if not this weekend then the next for sure). I live just around the corner from Imperial and Kraemer...

Cheers!
That sounds like fun. I don't know if you would be brewing on Sunday, but my wife has some plans of her own for that afternoon so I may be able to hang out a few hours then. I doubt if I could stay for a whole brew session, but Borrowing, Loaning, and Wort-for-Ingredients aside, if your brewing that day I'd love to just stop by for a chance to watch even if I couldn't be there from the start.

I'll send you a PM. :cheers:
Jon Image
lars

Post by lars »

Hey Jon, if you want it, I have an old and well loved turkey fryer. You can HAVE it... FREE. Only one caveat, you will need to buy a burner - they run about $10. You can have the stand and the regulator... I used the burner on my brew stand. Shoot me a pm if you want it.
Shut up and brew
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I have a burner that came with my bayou burner but the thread for connecting the gas line didn't fit so I got a replacement. If you can make it work, it's yours.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Rezzin wrote:I have a burner that came with my bayou burner but the thread for connecting the gas line didn't fit so I got a replacement. If you can make it work, it's yours.
Hey Rezzin,

Are you talking about the burner with stand?
or just the metal burner part?

If it's the first I'd like to give it a shot if your serious. I'm not sure what I would do if your just talking about the burner part though.

Cheers!
Jon Image
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Yeah just the burner. If anyone else wants it, speak up - it's yours!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum