Turkey Fryer

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Re: Turkey Fryer

Post by JonGoku »

red wrote:I found a remote version of that electronic thermometer in the bar-b-que section at wallmart on clerance for 10$. I brew in the back yard and am able to walk around in the house doing other things while keeping an eye on my temps. I love it.They work great!

Brian
Brian that sounds pretty convenient, and would be neat for monitoring fermenting temperatures as well. Same question about the accuracy and calibration though. Have you noticed or tested it? Can it be tweaked if off my a few degrees?
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Ok, sorry for yet another long thread, but as long as I am armed with an unused Turkey Fryer and Receipt I figured I might be able to convince a few other locations with possibly better models to drop their price to match.

I found at another lowes way up high on a shelf with no pricing this model (CLICK ME!!)
Another TF.jpg
Another TF.jpg (31.41 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Close up TF.jpg
Close up TF.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
It has a tap as well, and is 5 quarts larger (Still Aluminum though). The stand looks more stable, but possibly less able to modify if that bug ever bites me. Does anyone know if this type of tap is ok? Anyone have any experience with this particular model?

I'm still aiming for the bayou classic, but I haven't seen it in stock anywhere. If anyone knows of a Home Depot or Lowes or another store that does have on in stock let me know. If it's SS I'd definitely pay more then $35 for the setup.

Thanks again for all the patience and input.

Cheers!
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

The turkey fryer I got last year came with an aluminum kettle with the exact same tap built in. I never used it however, just didn't trust it for some reason. I know that isn't any help though :)
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

kevinham wrote:The turkey fryer I got last year came with an aluminum kettle with the exact same tap built in. I never used it however, just didn't trust it for some reason. I know that isn't any help though :)
Interesting. Do you use a siphon after cooling to pitch temp or do you lift 5-7 gallons of wort and poor it into a fermentor? Image

I also think I answered my own question with a little more research. I found a link (CLICK ME!!) in another brew forum discussing the same thing about the same model.
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

JonGoku wrote:
kevinham wrote:The turkey fryer I got last year came with an aluminum kettle with the exact same tap built in. I never used it however, just didn't trust it for some reason. I know that isn't any help though :)
Interesting. Do you use a siphon after cooling to pitch temp or do you lift 5-7 gallons of wort and poor it into a fermentor? Image

I also think I answered my own question with a little more research. I found a link (CLICK ME!!) in another brew forum discussing the same thing about the same model.
I used this http://morebeer.com/view_product/15778//Siphontap when I used the aluminum kettle. I upgraded to a keg that I converted with a weldless kit shortly after. I still use that burner, and use the aluminum kettle for heating strike and sparge water. The Siphontap worked great, and starts a siphon really easily, but can get clogged with hops sometimes.

Actually I still have the Siphontap and this little aerator that goes with it. http://morebeer.com/view_product/15779/ ... rt_Aerator If you want them, they are yours.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

kevinham wrote:I used this http://morebeer.com/view_product/15778//Siphontap when I used the aluminum kettle. I upgraded to a keg that I converted with a weldless kit shortly after. I still use that burner, and use the aluminum kettle for heating strike and sparge water. The Siphontap worked great, and starts a siphon really easily, but can get clogged with hops sometimes.

Actually I still have the Siphontap and this little aerator that goes with it. http://morebeer.com/view_product/15779/ ... rt_Aerator If you want them, they are yours.
That looks pretty cool. Does it work in place of an autosiphon, or do does it just add a filtering tip or aerator when you connect it to an autosiphon? I already have a 1/2" autosiphon, but to be honest I haven't even tried using it yet. It's still in the plastic packaging which I really need to break it out of and start practicing with before this weekend's planned bottling day. If I can make it, I might bring a flat beer to the club meeting on the 20th just to get some preliminary comments on it.
Jon Image
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

kevinham wrote:If you want them, they are yours.
If Jon doesn't want them, I will take them. I'm still pouring the wort into the fermentor from the kettle with a funnel....

Jeremy
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

JonGoku wrote:
kevinham wrote:I used this http://morebeer.com/view_product/15778//Siphontap when I used the aluminum kettle. I upgraded to a keg that I converted with a weldless kit shortly after. I still use that burner, and use the aluminum kettle for heating strike and sparge water. The Siphontap worked great, and starts a siphon really easily, but can get clogged with hops sometimes.

That looks pretty cool. Does it work in place of an autosiphon, or do does it just add a filtering tip or aerator when you connect it to an autosiphon? I already have a 1/2" autosiphon, but to be honest I haven't even tried using it yet. It's still in the plastic packaging which I really need to break it out of and start practicing with before this weekend's planned bottling day. If I can make it, I might bring a flat beer to the club meeting on the 20th just to get some preliminary comments on it.
It works in place of one, but it wouldn't fit into a carboy or better bottle, and probably wouldn't work well if you tried to use it to transfer from a bucket primary fermenter with all the trub at the bottom.

In a kettle it works even easier than an autosiphon, all you do is put it in and push it straight down to get a siphon started. The reason I didn't know if it would work in a primary bucket is because you have to put it on the bottom and push straight down against it. The trub would probably immediately get sucked up into it and clog the strainer.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

kevinham wrote:It works in place of one, but it wouldn't fit into a carboy or better bottle, and probably wouldn't work well if you tried to use it to transfer from a bucket primary fermenter with all the trub at the bottom.

In a kettle it works even easier than an autosiphon, all you do is put it in and push it straight down to get a siphon started. The reason I didn't know if it would work in a primary bucket is because you have to put it on the bottom and push straight down against it. The trub would probably immediately get sucked up into it and clog the strainer.
Yes, I think your probably right about the primary, but that would be great to use for from the kettle to the primary. If your serious I'd love to take it off your hands.
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

JonGoku wrote:
kevinham wrote:It works in place of one, but it wouldn't fit into a carboy or better bottle, and probably wouldn't work well if you tried to use it to transfer from a bucket primary fermenter with all the trub at the bottom.

Yes, I think your probably right about the primary, but that would be great to use for from the kettle to the primary. If your serious I'd love to take it off your hands.
Let me make sure I still have it before I go making promises. Probably should have done that first, but I want to make sure it didn't get lost or tossed when I was moving. I'll let you know tonight, and if I can find it, it's all yours.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

kevinham wrote:Let me make sure I still have it before I go making promises. Probably should have done that first, but I want to make sure it didn't get lost or tossed when I was moving. I'll let you know tonight, and if I can find it, it's all yours.
Sweet! Thanks. :happybeer:
Jon Image
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

JonGoku wrote:
kevinham wrote:Let me make sure I still have it before I go making promises. Probably should have done that first, but I want to make sure it didn't get lost or tossed when I was moving. I'll let you know tonight, and if I can find it, it's all yours.
Sweet! Thanks. :happybeer:
Found it. You can come pick it up from me in Tustin sometime, or I can bring it to the January club meeting if you are planning on going to that. Just PM me about it, and we can work it out.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

kevinham wrote:Found it. You can come pick it up from me in Tustin sometime, or I can bring it to the January club meeting if you are planning on going to that. Just PM me about it, and we can work it out.
Great, will do.
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

I'm going to try and get in a another extract/specialty grain brew on Friday evening and so broke the turkey fryer out of the box, assembled it and test fired it last night to see if everything worked. My goal was to do a test boil but ran short on propane 45min (180F) into the test. I started with garden hose water at I think around 60F I think. If my propane had not run out I'm guessing I might have hit boiling in roughly an hour after start. Is this par for the course for a full boil? I have no comparison to go off of.
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Jon, you didn't say how much water you were trying to boil. I'm going to assume you were trying to boil 3 gallons of water which makes 45 minutes a long time. Was the throttle wide open on your burner?

Also, follow the instructions that came with the fryer to make sure you adjust the burner's air intake. Having the right mix of fuel to air makes a huge difference in the efficiency.