Where do you get your gas?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

carbon

Where do you get your gas?

Post by carbon »

I'm looking for input on good places with good prices to get CO2 and Oxygen tanks filled. I prefer the Orange/Irvine/inbetween area. Recommendations are appreciated.
Edit-
I was looking into buying this tank from a guy. It is currently empty. I called a medical oxygen services company in Orange, and they said you would need to have a perscription to get it filled. I told him what I was using it for, and he said they couldn't fill it without a perscription. He also said that any reputable welding shop would not fill a medical grade oxygen tank. Is this true? Is the tank in the picture (E size)worth buying for $50? If i bought it, would I have trouble filling it?
Attachments
O2 Tank.jpg
O2 Tank.jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Last edited by carbon on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------
rich
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Where do you get your gas?

Post by brahn »

The only place I know of that will actually refill your tank is O'Shea's. It's $10 for a 5lb tank. If you don't mind swapping your tanks there are other options like Praxair, but I'm also curious what everyone else does.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

California Tool and Welding on 1st in Santa Ana. I buy Oxygen, CO2 and Argon from them. They fill, they don't exchange.

It is true that you cannot get a medical cylinder filled without an Rx. Don't buy that one. If you are looking for an O2 tank, you don't need a very big one. By 20 cuft has lasted a long time.
brianc

Post by brianc »

I usually have my CO2 tank filled at Mr Kegs in Huntington Beach (Beach and Talbert).
carbon

Post by carbon »

Is a regulator necessary when using O2 for aeration, or can one safely estimate?
-------
rich
backyard brewer

carbon wrote:Is a regulator necessary when using O2 for aeration, or can one safely estimate?
No you need a regulator because the initial pressure is something like 1500-2000psi. The reg brings it down to a more manageable level.

They're cheap (relatively) on eBay. Also cruise the swap meet at GWC or OCC early and the occasional garage sale. People get rid of gas welding rigs cheap and that's all you need is that O2 bottle and reg.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I get gas from my wife's cooking. :lol:

I just go to the welding supply near my house.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I usually go to O'Shea but have also gone to Oxygen Supply Service (a welding shop) on Collins in Orange. O2 Supply gives you a free gasket but charges $2 more than O'Shea.
backyard brewer

CTW was only about $8 for 5 lbs last time I was there.
lars

Post by lars »

Backyard Brewer wrote:California Tool and Welding on 1st in Santa Ana. I buy Oxygen, CO2 and Argon from them. They fill, they don't exchange.
Thanks for the tip! I had my 20lb Co2 tank filled there today. Total $17.22 filled right away, on a saturday!
Shut up and brew
backyard brewer

lars wrote:
Backyard Brewer wrote:California Tool and Welding on 1st in Santa Ana. I buy Oxygen, CO2 and Argon from them. They fill, they don't exchange.
Thanks for the tip! I had my 20lb Co2 tank filled there today. Total $17.22 filled right away, on a saturday!
No problem. Nice guys too, I just wish they had a better inventory of welding consumables.