Barbed vs Threaded fittings for corny kegs

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Barbed vs Threaded fittings for corny kegs

Post by JonGoku »

I'm researching kegging equipment and had a question regarding which fittings would be best to get, barbed or threaded.

I was reading this page and this comment and explanation was confusing me.
Start out right and don't use the hose-barb fittings. For the same price you can get threaded fittings which allow you to very easily expand your kegs to service both Coke and Pepsi (pin-lock and ball-lock). It costs a bit more because you then need fittings for your hoses, but in our opinion it's worth it.
Further comments here:
The first thing you will need is the fittings appropriate for your type of keg. The fittings have a large female socket at one end which fits down over the corresponding fitting on the top of the keg. At the top of the socket, sticking diagonally upwards out of the side, is either a 3/8" OD (outer diameter) hose barb, or better yet, a 3/8" OD threaded male compression fitting. We strongly encourage you to start off by getting the threaded fittings, since this will allow you to run a hybrid system of Coke and Pepsi kegs. The fittings themselves are the same price either way, though you may have to special order the threaded ones since some brew shops don't seem to carry them. Also, you'll have to purchase the corresponding female compression fitting which attaches to the end of the hose that you'll be connecting to it, so it is a bit more expensive to get going. But even if you don't ever want to mix kegs in your own setup, it's useful to have for special circumstances. For example, you may someday find yourself throwing a party, and a brewing friend of yours wants to bring a keg along, but she has the opposite setup as you do. If you have the compression fittings, you'll find it extremely easy to accommodate your friend's kegs. But I guarantee you'll kick yourself the moment you find a really good price on the opposite type of kegs than they ones you currently have on your system, and therefore have to purchase all new fittings for all of your kegs in order to run a hybrid system. Trust us on this one, we've been there. You can actually set up a hybrid system with the hose-barb fittings, but it isn't nearly as versatile as it would be using the compression fittings. Basically you have to split your gas line in two with a T fitting, then dedicate one half to Pepsi, and the other half to Coke. You'll also have to maintain two completely separate serving line systems, which can be a real pain if you want good taps on your system because you'll have to dedicate one tap to ball-lock, and the other to pin-lock.
The premise that a threaded fitting system would allow a hybrid system that could use both pin and ball lock kegs sounds ideal, however I'm failing to see how a threaded system could do this and not a barbed. I'm betting there is a very good reason they are saying this, but I just can't make it out and would appreciate anyones attempt to shed some light on this for me.

TIA
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Re: Barbed vs Threaded fittings for corny kegs

Post by brahn »

In the threaded system, the QD's attach to the beverage/gas tubing via threaded connections. That allows you to easily switch QD's without having to remove the clamps that attach the tubing to the hose barb. The hose barb QD's have a hose barb on them that goes into the tubing and you clamp the tubing directly to the QD. So switching is more difficult.

I don't own any pin lock kegs, but everything on my system is threaded and I do swap QD's onto different tubing fairly often for different tasks.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

So over all both systems could be used in the exact same way, however with the threaded system it would be quicker and simpler to switch one out for another.

Brent you said you had only ball lock kegs, but do you know if one fitting would be able to attach to either style keg? I'm assuming no, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

No, they are totally different connectors.

I use the threaded connectors and I do happen to have some pin lock connectors, but no pin lock kegs. The connectors were free with another purchase so no loss but I'm ready for the SOB with pin locks should he stop by.

As Brent said, threaded connectors are more versatile should you decide you need a hose for another task. I have one I use as a jumper and I can switch in and out QDs for whatever I'm doing.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Gotcha.

I was looking at picking up a couple of ball lock kegs from CL but I'm not getting a response from the poster. I'd really like to get a deal where the seller was selling a complete setup, but I haven't seen one since I finally committed to the kegging idea.

I've got the aeratorin my shopping cart at morebeer. I was trying to figure out a few more fillers so I could get the free shipping, and so figured some fittings would work. BUT the aerator is out of stock and I can't find the threaded fittings, so I'm a tad bummed as I was thinking maybe maybe maybe, I could get a brew in this coming weekend.
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Oh wow, ok I finally got a response from the deal on CL and I'll be picking up 2 ball lock corny's tomorrow for $40. Not killer, but decently below market value especially for the small quantity. I'm still looking for small 2.5 or 3 gallon ones. If anyone has 1 too many of the small ones let me know. I'd trade up the 5 gallon ones and whatever cash/homebrew needed to make up the difference.

Cheers! :happybeer:
Jon Image