Kegerator / Chopping up cornies...

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Kegerator / Chopping up cornies...

Post by bwarbiany »

I just converted my kegerator to a two-tap model. I have a large enough tower now that I spaced the taps with enough room to drop in a third, but I need to make sure I can fit three cornies in the fridge section.

It's one of the Sanyo black basic kegerator models, and I'm not 100% sure if I can fit all three. I still need to try it, but has anyone ever simply chopped off one of the big black plastic handles from a corny? I'm sure that if I am able to get one corny moved slightly towards the back of the interior, I could fit all three. There's a lip that currently limits this, but if I chopped off one corny handle, I could get it a few inches past that lip.

Has anyone ever tried 3 cornies in this model kegerator? The rest of my kegs are at my brother-in-law's place, so I can't test it at the moment. If it won't work, is there any downside to hacking off one of those handles? Is there typically any structural reinforcement that I should watch out for if I cut one off?
Brad
lexuschris

Re: Kegerator / Chopping up cornies...

Post by lexuschris »

Dreging up an old post.. 8)

I am interested in building a kegerator, and was wondering what models of refrigerators you guys have found work well?

I see a lot of the 3.5+ cu.ft. compact refrigerators that have iceboxes and such, and then I found this one which is all refrigerator! no icebox! (SANYO SR4912M)

I have a spot in my office that would fit this. (closet width, with 36" height-clearence). This idea of ridding myself of the bottles is takin' hold! :D

At the very least would love to know the make/model of what you guys are using. Any good links for the conversion process?

Many thanks!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I used the Sanyo 4912 that you showed in your picture. It works great!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

There's plenty of how-to's online showing the conversion of that fridge. If you haven't Googled it already do so. Also search it on youtube for some videos.

Examples here, here, & here.
Jon Image
lars

Post by lars »

I have the Kenmore version of the Sanyo 4912. Works great.
Shut up and brew
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Great! Thanks for the links & confirmation of the 4912 as a working & 'good' model for a kegarator.

I saw in one of the links Jon posted, they removed the door's storage panel to make 'more room'. My question is if the 2 five-gallon kegs + CO2 tank fit without that mod?

And, if I go ahead and remove the door storage, would I be able to fit a 3rd key in there?

Looks like I have a fun project coming up!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

It might depend on if you have ball lock (8.5" dai. x 25") or pin lock (9" dai. X 23") kegs as to whether or not you need to remove the door shelves. Apparently it also depends on the Co2 tank and the regulators you get too. This guy HEREwas having troubles, but then this guys HEREseems fine. Go figure.

Anyways, what I want to know is what you mean by...
lexuschris wrote:I have a spot in my office that would fit this.
Are you talking home office or office office? :happybeer:
Lexus of Westminster isn't too far from where I live... hmmm :lol:
Jon Image
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

JonGoku wrote:Are you talking home office or office office? :happybeer:
Lexus of Westminster isn't too far from where I live... hmmm :lol:
8) Would be way too tempting if it were at my real office!

--LexusChris
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Updating my progress on this...

Turning into a pricey project. :o

Digging through old posts here and on homebrewtalk.com, seems that you can find used recon'd ball-lock cornies for $25-$40 each, plus shipping. I found the Sanyo SR-4912M at Fry's for $190. The twin tap tower seems to be a pricey addition. But I found a guy on ebay who sells the whole kit: CO2 regulator, tubing, twin-tap tower w/tubing, ball-lock connects, 2 used recon'd cornies, CO2 tank, drip tray & facet wrench.. .all for $395.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Tap-Tower-Kegerat ... 7C294%3A30

So, it looks like I can buy the kit, the refrigerator for $585 + $29 shipping. $614 and some elbow grease and I'm good to go. Does that sound like the right price range? I'm starting from nothing...

BTW, I did find a compact Haier kegerator, ready to ship, for just a smidgen more ($546 + $54 for 2 cornies + $140 shpping = $740) at http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... BB-2.shtml

Any comments, suggestions are appreciated! :happybeer:
--LexusChris
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Or you could get this @ $299.00
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1178564768.html
this @ $133.61+tax & shipping
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-bee ... 743DT.html
and some of these @ $37/pc
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1132698087.html
(btw this is FBMIKE's ad whom you met at the meeting and who I bet would cut you a slightly better deal then $37 a keg)
For a grand total of around $500 and change and a lot less elbow grease.
I guess you would need to get a double regulator too, but still, you could resell the single tower and single regulator if you wanted and buy the double. Either way, I think $740 is a bit on the high end for a DIY project.

Anyways, keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Cheers! :happybeer:

Edit: Or you could get this for $720+tax
http://www.micromatic.com/keg-refrigera ... 206-2.html
and will-call it in Northridge but then that would be too simple and no fun.
Jon Image
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I don't know if spkrtoy has any kegerators left, but he set up Yeast Killer with a kegerator, 2 kegs, twin tower, 5 lb. CO2 w/regulator, for about 180 bucks. PM him and see what he has available.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I have that Haier... BeverageFactory is down in San Diego, so you can pick it up and avoid the shipping. For a large enough quantity of homebrew, I'll even head down there with my truck with you to retrieve it (if you don't have a truck).

The standard Haier comes with a 2.25" tower. This wouldn't suit a dual-tap configuration. I ended up getting a 3" tower and converting it to a second tap. It's large enough that I'll soon convert it to a 3-tapper... The Haier will (with some coaxing) support 3 cornies. I wish I could say it's because I need three taps for homebrew, but I've decided to start keeping a keg of homemade root beer on for my wife...
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

That sounds like a really good idea. I wonder how tough it would be to make "diet coke". Although root beer would be fine by me, my wife (and most Japanese) can't stand root beer, dr. pepper, or similar drinks because the flavor is reminiscent of a medicine(s) which is common over there. I don't quite understand it but I guarantee you'll never find one of those flavors in a vending machine over there.

I'm sure all I need to do is google it some, but being lazy and about ready to head to bed, how does one make soda pop?

Edit: Sorry I almost hijacked this thread. For further coke/root beer/etc talk see this thread.
Jon Image
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Chris, did you make a move one way or another on this?
Jon Image
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

JonGoku wrote:Chris, did you make a move one way or another on this?
My wife thinks I'm going nuts on this 'brewing thing' ..with all the projects & weird apparatus.. :twisted:

I have not moved in on this project yet. I spent my budget on a 02 system for my wort and a portable A/C unit with a window vent. (I can set it up for fermentation in 2 mins, and then put it away after I'm done.)
Portable AC unit to cool fermentation room
Portable AC unit to cool fermentation room
ac_tempcontrol_s.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
I figured it was more important to first have fermentation temp control. I've been bottling for so long, another round or two won't kill me. :)

Because of my limited space, the kegerator's height & width are deciding factors. And I rather enjoy the feeling of putting something together like that! BTW, I am decidedly un-handy .. but am inspired by the links here & on homebrewtalk.com. (The A/C window vent needed some mod'ing to make it fit my narrow window, and then I added some foam insulation around it.)

So, I think I'll probably home in on the DIY Sanyo 4912 w/2 tap tower, 5# CO2 tank, 2 ball-lock corny kegs, and build that myself. (Impress the hell out of my wife... although she may decide that I'm handy enough now to hang all those photo frames in the hallway upstairs...sheesh!)

Until next paycheck, I remain...
--LexusChris

*edited to add picture*
Last edited by lexuschris on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.