Custom Labels

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Custom Labels

Post by JonGoku »

I ran a quick search and didn't come up with much on this subject so would greatly appreciate hearing how those of you of go the extra mile to label your homebrew bottles do it. I saw a few websites listing supplies etc to make your own labels, but would like to know if there are any recommendations members might have, or alternatives that could be looked at.

Thanks in advance! K:-)
Jon Image
brew captain

Re: Custom Labels

Post by brew captain »

At this point most of us put our energy into the beer and not the package, but when I first got going I labeled every batch with a custom label. I used an adhesive backed paper that you could print on a regular inkjet printer. I even entered my labels into competitions and won some nice ribbons. If I were doing a special occasion brew (wedding, birth of a child, Christmas, etc.) I would still consider doing a label, but remember it is what is inside the bottle that is most important!

Cheers!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

I have heard of people using the printable label paper, and milk or glue on the back of regular paper for labels. Here is a forum section from homebrewtalk.com about labels http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/. That is about all I know about labeling homebrew.

Also if you are lazy there is http://www.myownlabels.com.
Kevin
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I've used Avery labels in the past and gone so far as to paint them with clear acrylic to stave off water in a cooler. Worked pretty well. Just used an inkjet.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Thanks for the links. I'll see how creative I get and post picks once I get my inaugural batch brewed.
Jon Image
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I've made a few labels for special occasion brews. I used some Waterproof labels that could be printed from a laser printer. You can find them here: http://www.onlinelabels.com/ol500.htm

I had to "borrow" some toner from my office, since I don't have a color laser printer. I tried Kinko's, but for some reason, they wouldn't let me print on labels. I had to print onto paper, and then use the color copier to transfer to the labels. The qualty was horrible. If you don't tell them what you are doing, and don't ask for help you can get away with it (I tried a different Kinkos) Tustin loc. didn't ask.

As for the content of the lables, I have friends that are graphic designers, so they chipped in some time for me. You can see them here: http://marottebrewery.blogspot.com/

Labels are cool, but I second the motion that it is what is inside the bottle that really matters.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Marotte Brewery wrote:I've made a few labels for special occasion brews. I used some Waterproof labels that could be printed from a laser printer. You can find them here: http://www.onlinelabels.com/ol500.htm

I had to "borrow" some toner from my office, since I don't have a color laser printer. I tried Kinko's, but for some reason, they wouldn't let me print on labels. I had to print onto paper, and then use the color copier to transfer to the labels. The qualty was horrible. If you don't tell them what you are doing, and don't ask for help you can get away with it (I tried a different Kinkos) Tustin loc. didn't ask.

As for the content of the lables, I have friends that are graphic designers, so they chipped in some time for me. You can see them here: http://marottebrewery.blogspot.com/

Labels are cool, but I second the motion that it is what is inside the bottle that really matters.
Welcome to the board and thanks for the info!
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Thank you! Glad to be here.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Nice to see another bathtub brewer such as myself...

Welcome to the board!

Cheers!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Marotte Brewery wrote:Thank you! Glad to be here.
Welcome to BC ... we'll look forward to you sharing your brewing adventures!

Dan
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Welcome to the board MB!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

As far as labels go, I'm a big fan of blue masking tape and a sharpie. :D
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

maltbarley wrote:As far as labels go, I'm a big fan of blue masking tape and a sharpie. :D
Fancy ... that's what I like about you Tim .. you don't hold anything back.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

maltbarley wrote:As far as labels go, I'm a big fan of blue masking tape and a sharpie. :D
I just put a plain bottle in a brown paper bag and write my name on it in crayon.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

They also make pens that write on glass in shinny gold or silver. :wink: Not a label but easy to tell what's in the bottle.
How well do these various laser printed labels remove from the bottle? We used a few self adhesive Christmas labels that came off without much difficulty.