? fermenting in carboy/bucket with spigot

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

huntfisher

? fermenting in carboy/bucket with spigot

Post by huntfisher »

I am wondering what techniques do you use to make sure that a spigot does not pickup up any bacteria when it is left out fermenting. Is the best way to wrap spigot with foil drenched with starsan. It seems that there would be a good chance for bacteria to build up over two weeks. Also,should I stay away from buckets and carboys with a spigot, if i have pets in the house.

thanks
Justin
backyard brewer

Re: ? fermenting in carboy/bucket with spigot

Post by backyard brewer »

A quick wrap in foil to keep the air off should be all you need after spraying it with Star-San. Fortunately, there is no reason for beer-spoiling bacteria to be hanging out in your home. The exception of course is where you've brought them in the house with your grain or crushing your grain.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I would always spray the inside and outside of the spigot with star san before filling, racking, and bottling. I didn't really worry about it while the beer was fermenting and I never had a problem.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

First, disassemble the spigot and take it off the bucket. Then let it soak for quite some time in your sanitizing solution (probably lightly brush it or wipe with a rag while submerged in the solution), put it back together in the bucket, then pour the sanitizing solution into the bucket (to sanitize the bucket), which helps to continue sanitizing the spigot.
Brad