18-gallon plastic storage bins - $3.44

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

18-gallon plastic storage bins - $3.44

Post by bwarbiany »

Hey guys... I was at Home Depot today, thinking I'd buy a couple of buckets for milling grain and transporting it up to Dustin's for brew days. Instead, I noticed that they had 18-gallon plastic bins (w/lid) for only about $3.50 each. Smoking deal. Each one holds well over 50# of grain.

I bought three :lol:
Brad
maltbarley

Re: 18-gallon plastic storage bins - $3.44

Post by maltbarley »

That's a great price. I wish i hadn't spent the $25 on the three I bought for grain. After i filled them I wasn't too happy with how loose the lids were and ended up with the vittles vaults. If i was able to brew more often, I wouldn't be so worried about it.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Is this it? How tight is the lid (will it keep bugs out?)

Dan
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

What you posted a pic of Dan is exactly what I use. I also put my grain bags inside of jumbo Zip Lock bags, but more to maintain freshness than to keep bugs out. Most of the bugs we worry about getting into our grains actually come with the grains in the sack and do not come from our homes.

Just like flour, rice and oats, grain will usually get little black weevils in them over time...

Cheers!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Dan, that looks exactly like it. The lid... Well let's say it doesn't exactly seal...

In fact, if I was driving from Laguna Niguel to Yorba Linda, I'd have to tie the lid down to keep it from flying off if I set the thing in the back of my truck.

So the lid isn't exactly secure.

But for the price, it covered my needs.
Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

You can line them with a white plastic kitchen trash bag. Fill the bag with the grain inside the container and then tie off the bag.