KROQ Microbrew Festival at Santa Anita Park

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

kevinham

KROQ Microbrew Festival at Santa Anita Park

Post by kevinham »

It is tomorrow, March 1 at the racetrack. Who has gone to one of these? They do it all the time, and I keep meaning to go check it out, but never end up going. They never put ANY information online except there will be "over 20 local breweries". I am sure you guys have gone to this, so tell me, is it worth it?
Kevin
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I keep wanting to go too but haven't made it.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I asked about this on beeradvocate, and the general response was "not worth it".

Nothing special about the breweries there, and I hear the lines are very long. If you're already interested in going to the track, this may be the best day to go, but I wouldn't go out of your way to go if you've got something better to do.
Brad
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

I've heard pretty much the same thing as Brad's comment.

If you want, tonight you can come over and experience a much better time as well as beer's that'll knock your socks off. (you probably won't be able to go to Santa Anita afterwards :roll: :wink: :roll: )
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Yeah, I had a feeling it was nothing special, otherwise I would have probably heard more about it. Part of the reason I never ended up going, I guess. Another reason is I am lazy. But who knows, I still may go if I can't find anything better to do.

Lyn, I look forward to it. I will stop by Hollingshead and grab some good ones to share (and have a quick glass with my friends while I am there :D ).
Kevin
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I went to one of them a few years ago; I have not been back. It wasn't bad, just nothing special and the drive home wasn't one to look forward to.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Hey Lyn - provided I don't get paged out tonight, I'll be bringing over the rest of the longshot beers, a couple of bottles of SN bigfoot, and some sour beers. Thanks for grabbing those boxes for me - I'll buzz you before I stop by.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I might pay a little visit too, but I bet it won't be for long.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

maltbarley wrote:I might pay a little visit too, but I bet it won't be for long.
Cool, you plan on stopping by your house first or coming straight from work? If you stop by home then bring what's left of that gypsum :)
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

I'll be there with Dan's porters to give to Lyn for distribution to the palates he sees fit to enlist as objective judges since he's the style coordinator.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
craigsdickson

Post by craigsdickson »

I went to one last year sometime.

If you go, go early - be there for the first race and get in and get your drinking done. If you do that you will be able to walk up to each brewer and there will little to no lines.

Once it gets to about 1pm or after, forget about it. The place turns into a zoo of KROQ douchebags and the lines are 30 people deep at every stand and you can barely move in the small area they have set aside.
BrewCommune - Wouldn't YOU like to know?
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Yeah, didn't end up going again. I did however manage to make it to the very last day of the Belgian Beer Festival at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena. Had some really great Belgian beer that I haven't seen anywhere else, and some amazing seafood stew made with Piraat. It was a good time, even though it was like 100 degrees in there and packed. Anyone else make it out to that at all?
Kevin