Turkey Fryer

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

Turkey Fryer

Post by JonGoku »

I found a Brinkmann Turkey Fryer on sale at a brick and mortar Home Depot store nearby for $69.97 I maybe able to get an additional 10% off that. I could not find it on the Home Depot website, but here is a link to a site with the model I think I saw.

Brinkmann Turkey Fryer w/ 30qt Pot

Should I pick this up, or wait look for something with better quality and a square for legged burner?
Last edited by JonGoku on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Image
lars

Re: Turkey Fryer

Post by lars »

Check your local Target store... I think they curently have a four leg madel for a similar price... maybe a bit lower.
Shut up and brew
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

lars wrote:Check your local Target store... I think they curently have a four leg madel for a similar price... maybe a bit lower.
Which target did you see that at? I've been to a couple locally and haven't seen anything. What section would they be in? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area.
Jon Image
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I haven't seen them at target lately, but last year after christmas they had them for $30 on clearance. $70 seems like a bit much for a burner. The aluminum pots are pretty much disposable.

You probably want to get in a habit of checking craigslist from time to time. I've bought and sold various equipment that way and found that there are quite a few brewers out there that do the same.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

maltbarley wrote:I haven't seen them at target lately, but last year after christmas they had them for $30 on clearance. $70 seems like a bit much for a burner. The aluminum pots are pretty much disposable.

You probably want to get in a habit of checking craigslist from time to time. I've bought and sold various equipment that way and found that there are quite a few brewers out there that do the same.
I've been checking craigslist for the past couple weeks and haven't been able to catch any deals. I didn't realize that Target had them so I will be checking more closely.

Regarding the "disposable aluminum pots" are you saying since they are cheap you don't really need to worry much about them? Please don't go into details unless you feel really inclined as I'm sure there are thread and threads and more threads on aluminum vs SS out there. I've read a number and finally decided that the price benefit outweighed the cool shinny look of SS (although I'd love to have one).
Jon Image
lars

Post by lars »

They are not easy to locate in the Target stores... sometimes they are with the hardware stuff, sometimes they are inthe garden area. Lately I've seen them with the left over BBQ stuff. Both Targets local to me still have them.

The aluminum pots are typically cheap and easily dented/damaged. Having said that... I still use mine as a catch bucket when brewing.
Shut up and brew
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Yes, there are a bunch of threads on the subject.

I know it's difficult with a new hobby, but i have found (especially with brewing) that it really pays to be patient and keep your eyes open. A few years ago, Costco sold a SS fryer and SS stand for $100. I wasn't ready to buy at the time, but when it went down to $50 after Christmas, I snatched it up. After seeing something like that, it's hard to think about paying a higher price for aluminum.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Patients... wow I never new that word existed. Actually had to look it up in the dictionary just now. Hahaha, just kidding. :lol: I know you are so right, and so I am trying to sit on my hands and not jump the gun. I'm a bit sour though as I know I just missed the big Thanksgiving season where most of these really good deals should follow. I will take you advice and hold off on the Brinkmann, deep inside I really didn't want it as and would love to have the SS setup from Bayou Classic, but figured it might get me by until something does fall at my feet.
Jon Image
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Patience is a virtue in this hobby. Many a brewer has got to the end of drinking a batch and said, "damn that last one tasted like a world class beer!!!" and there was no one but the garage walls to hear them...

Since you are the beneficiary of the longest running welcome post in the club's history, I will let you borrow a burner and a 14 gallon kettle the next time you brew.

Propane is on you!

Cheers!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brew captain wrote:Patience is a virtue in this hobby. Many a brewer has got to the end of drinking a batch and said, "damn that last one tasted like a world class beer!!!" and there was no one but the garage walls to hear them...

Since you are the beneficiary of the longest running welcome post in the club's history, I will let you borrow a burner and a 14 gallon kettle the next time you brew.

Propane is on you!

Cheers!
Hahaha, I noticed that too. Thank you and all the other club members for your patience in what I assume is yet another noob asking the same noob questions. I have tried to do as much research on my own before posting questions, but nothing beats a direct answer to your specific problem. Thank you all so much.

I will very likely take you up on that offer, allthough that will bring up issues like, what to do with 13 or however many gallons of beer you brew in a 14 gallon kettle.

:happybeer:
Jon Image
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I have to admit, I joined this forum only after I saw how nice everybody was to "the new guy". This is the kind of club that I will be happy to be a member of (I'll be officially be joining the club in a few minutes).

I still consider myself very new to this hobby. Even after 2 1/2 years of brewing, I'm still in the partial boil extract stage, and am trying to figure out how to convince the future wife that I need some more hardware to get into all grain. It shouldn't be too hard, as long as I can find a good place to store everything when it isn't being used (she did buy the kegging system for my birthday). The biggest thing holding me back from all grain, is that I don't want to jump in blind. I feel I need to see it done in person, before I fully understand the process.

Thanks Everyone!
Jeremy
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Marotte Brewery wrote:I have to admit, I joined this forum only after I saw how nice everybody was to "the new guy". This is the kind of club that I will be happy to be a member of (I'll be officially be joining the club in a few minutes).

I still consider myself very new to this hobby. Even after 2 1/2 years of brewing, I'm still in the partial boil extract stage, and am trying to figure out how to convince the future wife that I need some more hardware to get into all grain. It shouldn't be too hard, as long as I can find a good place to store everything when it isn't being used (she did buy the kegging system for my birthday). The biggest thing holding me back from all grain, is that I don't want to jump in blind. I feel I need to see it done in person, before I fully understand the process.

Thanks Everyone!
Jeremy
Welcome aboard Jeremy. I think we might need an introductions section pretty soon. I joined BrewCommune (the club, not the board) quite a while back. I've been brewing on and off for 20 years now. I'd been to other club's open club meetings and found most of them to be more about drinking beer than brewing beer. Now, I love a pint or 6 but the thing I liked about meeting with these guys is that everyone here was about making good beer more than just making as much alcohol as they could. I remember being at one meeting way back (might have been Yeast of Eden) and they were all forcing down this absolutely horrible beer just to marvel at the alcohol content. It was the nastiest thing I'd even had and I almost quit brewing!

Anyway , you just missed a club brew day last weekend but we usually have them on even numbered months. They aren't posted publicly since they are usually at a private venue. You'll have access to the Club Only forums with your membership. I expect a bunch of invitations to brew to follow this post anyway...
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Marotte Brewery wrote:I have to admit, I joined this forum only after I saw how nice everybody was to "the new guy". This is the kind of club that I will be happy to be a member of (I'll be officially be joining the club in a few minutes).

Thanks Everyone!
Jeremy
The one thing I like most about this board is we have a wide range of brewers ranging from noobs and dabblers to seasoned vets and pro brewers. Everyone is respectful of others, no one cares if you brew under 1.050 or over (although they'll make jokes :)), and it doesn't matter if you brew 6x a year or 50x a year... you'll fit right in.

You'll be surprised at just how easy brewing all grain is. I felt the same way before 'jumping' to all grain and I actually did my first batch 'blind' and it came out great. It's really easy - I promise. You can make it difficult if you want to get REALLY technical but it's really not necessary.

Welcome to the board Jeremy, glad to have you!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I figured I would miss the January session... just my luck... but I had my own brew day (s). I made a Columbus IPA on Sunday, and a Cream Ale (to try to make the apple flavored beer) last night. One advantage to extract brewing... it only takes an evening.

In reference to this thread (Turkey Fryers). I'm still using my gas range to brew, but I recently went and bought a brand new one with a 16,000 BTU burner that just works splendidly. It sure beats the old one that came with the condo and was made in 1985...
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Marotte Brewery wrote:I figured I would miss the January session... just my luck... but I had my own brew day (s). I made a Columbus IPA on Sunday, and a Cream Ale (to try to make the apple flavored beer) last night. One advantage to extract brewing... it only takes an evening.

In reference to this thread (Turkey Fryers). I'm still using my gas range to brew, but I recently went and bought a brand new one with a 16,000 BTU burner that just works splendidly. It sure beats the old one that came with the condo and was made in 1985...
Where in Yorba Linda are you? My bro-in-law and I brew at his place in Yorba Linda, off La Palma just west of Gypsum Cyn.

We brew all-grain (we have a few upgrades, such as pumps) and would be happy to have you join us for our next brew day.
Brad